Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wilton Cake Decorating Classes

I started Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1 last Thursday. If you aren't too familiar with Wilton courses, there are 4 courses, each course has 4 classes that are each 2 hours. The 4th course is all about fondant and gum paste. That is what I am most interested in, but I want to take all the courses in order to get the most out of it.
You can take the classes at places like Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, and Sur La Table, as well as local craft and candy supply stores. Not all the classes are listed online. I called a few stores to find the best class time that worked for me. The classes are offered monthly, so if it works out, I will take one class every month, and I will be finished the end of October- just in time for Halloween and the start of the holiday season! This possibility has me very excited.
The classes are around $40 each, but there are sometimes deals. For instance, when I signed up, I was only charged $20 and I was told that it was a special July deal.
At the first class, you will mostly learn about what you will be learning and you will learn how to make different icings at different consistencies. We were also taught how to make a double layer cake. You will get the book for course 1 which has tons of information in it. You will get a supply list at the first class. Everything was bought at AC Moore or Michaels. I listed the approximate price for everything without using any coupons. PS- I was told that if you ask nicely when paying, the cashier will let you use as many coupons as you want, and you can print them from the internet.

Here is what I was told to buy:
  • 10 inch cake circles - I bought a 12 pack $7
  • cake turntable- I bought it because I think it will make life easier $14
  • course 1 kit- I bought this. It comes with all the tips you need for course 1, the practice board, two featherweight bags, flower nail, 2 couplers, and a few other things. $25
  • extra couplers- I bought some. They are around 50 cents each.
  • derby clowns- You have to buy these to use in course 1 for the third class. $3
  • Wilton meringue powder- There are many sizes.
  • disposible decorating bags- I always buy them in bulk.
These were recommended that I buy them, and I did:
  • Tool Caddy- I got the empty one with the red top by Wilton. I am an organized person, and it will really help me organize my tips and tools. $20
  • tip # 789- This will help a lot when icing a large cake. $2
  • icing bag ties- 12 pack for $4
  • Wilton clear vanilla extract- I bought it so that my white icing is pure white. $5
  • Wilton icing colors- I bought the 12 pack. I am very excited about these! $16
Things I still may buy:
  • bake easy strips
  • cake easy spray
Other general things that you need:
  • cake container- You will need something to carry your cakes back and forth. I already have several of these.
  • Containers with lids to put your icing in and bring back and forth to class.
  • wax paper
  • toothpicks
  • piping gel
  • zip lock bags and paper towels for clean up
Next week, we have to go to class with a cake baked and several kinds of icing already prepared. We are making the rainbow cake. I think I am going to bake a double layer cake for this.

I will be blogging all about the Wilton classes, so check back!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun in course 1. I'm starting course 3 this Friday and I couldn't be more excited! :)

    ReplyDelete