Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies- 'The Chewy' vs. 'The Crispy'

There are thousands of chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I really want to find an amazing one to use over and over again. First, I tried a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com. I am nicknaming it 'The Crispy' because I thought it was a little too crispy. They were still good, everyone I served them to liked them a lot, but I knew I could find a better recipe.
I did.
I have read a LOT about 'The Chewy.' I finally made it a few days ago. It is a recipe from Alton Brown. The recipe calls for bread flour, which was a little tricky to find. I'm not sure what stores you have near you, but I found it at Waldbaums. Trader Joe's and Stop & Shop did not carry it.
I will post both recipes so you can make comparisons. You have to try The Chewy! They were SO yummy!!


From Alton Brown- The Chewy

Ingredients:

  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter.

Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes.

This recipe made about 36 cookies.


From AllRecipes.com- The Crispy

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until edges are nicely browned.

This recipe makes about 48 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment